Spring is here again, and the weather is beginning to warm up. (YAY!!)
Go to a park, fly a kite; then, come home and make these fun cupcakes together- just for fun and just because time with your little ones is so short!
- 12/3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1-3/4 cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- ¾ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups M&M’s mini baking bits, divided
- 24 graham cracker squares
- 1 (16 oz.) container white frosting*
- Assorted food colorings
*OR make your own Buttercream Frosting:*
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 to 2 tbsp milk
Mix powdered sugar and margarine in bowl with electric mixer on low speed. Stir in vanilla and 1 tbsp of milk. Gradually beat in milk to make consistency of frosting smooth and spreadable. Will frost a 9″ x 13″ cake or a round 9 ” cake or 24 cupcakes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly grease 24 muffin cups or line with foil or paper liners; set aside.
- In large bowl combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir in sugars.
- Beat in shortening until well combined.
- Beat in buttermilk, eggs, oil and vanilla.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin cups.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp. M&M’s baking bits over batter in each muffin cup.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Using serrated knife, gently cut graham crackers into kite shapes (do not press down on cracker while cutting).
- Reserve 1 cup frosting.
- Tint remaining frosting desired color, and frost the graham crackers and decorate with M&M’s baking bits.
- Tint the reserved frosting sky-blue; frost the cupcakes.
- Place small dollop of frosting at one edge of cupcake; stand kites in frosting on cupcakes.
- Store in tightly covered containers.