We are still a couple of months away from celebrating the Fourth of July but now is a wonderful time to begin teaching your children about those who gave their lives and fortunes for the freedom we have enjoyed for the past two hundred years.
One of the lesser known facts of our nation`s history is the important role played by American women in our War for Independence from England.
Listen a moment as Uncle Rick shares a story from Petticoat Warriors, Heroic Women of the American War For Independence.
In this series you will meet some great heroines such as:
- Dicey Langsten who braved treacherous swamps and flooding rivers to warn her brother, a Patriot soldier and his comrades of an imminent Tory attack.
- Catherine Sherrill Sevier, who refused to tell the whereabouts of her Patriot husband even when threatened with death at gunpoint.
- Deborah Sampsen, who disguised herself in men`s clothing and fought as a soldier in Washington`s army.
- Betty Zane, who left the protection of a beseiged fort and braved the gunfire of 500 Indians and Tories to fetch gunpowder from a nearby cabin.
- Molly Hays, who became famous as Molly Pitcher for taking over her husband`s place serving an American cannon when he went down in battle against the British.
- and more…
Now you can meet these great women and many others who endured great danger and sacrifice to bring freedom to America!!
Latest posts by Marilyn (see all)
- Bundle Gift - February 16, 2023
- Valentine Brownies Heart Shaped - February 8, 2023
- Why Your Children Need Heroes - August 19, 2022